Friday, April 11, 2014

Two days at NAB 2014

Tuesday: The first day I rode to the NAB with Patrick Peteete and Dustin Merrill. It was nice to go with a small group, because it was easier to stay together. Even though we separated for a while.



We checked out Canon, ARRI, GoPro, SONY, Black Magic, RED, nVidia, AJA, Fijinon, Libec, and many others.



I was impressed with the Black Magic 4K URSA camera, but it was very large to carry around. It had a great interface with a touch screen on the side as well as a huge flip out screen for viewing what was being filmed. I liked the peaking, but with it being green, I imagine it would get lost in a scene with lots of vegetation. Dustin pointed out that the color temperature settings only worked in steps (i.e. 3200, 3600, 4000) and had nothing in between. I don't understand why that have it set up that way and I didn't get the chance to ask.





We also spent some time at the RED booth, where they had several RED's set up with a runway show going on. They would film the runway show, take the SSHD from the camera to a computer at the back of the booth and download the footage. Then, use video footage to capture stills of the 4K video to print out full size prints from a color printer using 24x36 rolls of paper. That was pretty impressive since it was from video.




The SONY booth had some cameras set up as usual and we got to play around with the F55 while we were there. The F55 seemed to be in every booth in the entire convention center. So I got to get a pretty good look at what the camera had to offer.




Wednesday: The second day I rode the bus with the majority of the group. Patrick came again and I had scheduled a private demo of some modeling, special FX, and animation software that I was impressed with on Tuesday.




We spent some time checking out the AMD booth and a few other places that we missed the first day. We spoke to AMP Music about their service that is similar to what we get from Warner/Chapel. But AMP said that we would have access to the entire library. I wonder if that is the case with W/C.




My private demo was cool and I got to play around with the software. I want to see how easy it was to just jump into and use, which was about what I expected. There was a slight learning curve, but it was something anyone could get the hang of if they just took the time to learn it.




Wrap-up: Overall, it was great to go to NAB again this year. I love checking out the gadgets and trying to win stuff. Some of the GoPro giveaways are the best around. Maybe this year I will win something from one of the booths that I got scanned at since I wasn't so lucky at the GoPro booth where they give away a GoPro package every day with tons of goodies to one lucky person. Oh, and there were models at the  RED booth.





No comments:

Post a Comment